As you prepare for your surgery, you should take a look around your home and make sure you’ve made it a safe environment since you might be able to move around as easily for a while. Here are some suggestions:
- Remove all throw rugs
- Buy groceries and freeze meals in advance
- Create a path (28″ is wide enough for a walker) between the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom
- Place everyday items at arm level for easy reach
- Place a non-skid mat in the tub or shower
- Purchase a raised toilet seat or bedside commode
Be sure to arrange to have someone drive you home from the hospital or surgery center after your surgery. Someone should stay with you for at least a day, including overnight.
You may need assistance for a few weeks with grocery shopping, meal preparation, housekeeping and transportation to doctors’ appointments. Be sure to make these arrangements in advance.