Prepare for surgery
To help you prepare for surgery, you will receive a packet of materials with detailed instructions. These are the general guidelines.
30 days before surgery
- Have a pre-operative history and physical exam by your primary physician.
2 weeks before surgery
- If you have a heart condition, you will need to complete a chemistry panel, CBC and EKG
- Make arrangements for someone to pick you up and take you home.
7 days before surgery
- Discontinue anti-inflammatory medications, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, etc.
- Discontinue nutritional supplements such as vitamin E, gingko biloba, fish oil and garlic supplements.
- Notify your doctor if you are taking any anti-coagulant medication such as Coumadin, Warfarin, Plavix, Xarelto, Pradaxa and Eliquis.
Night before surgery
- After midnight do not drink or eat anything. This includes water, candy and gum.
- If you’re a smoker, please do not smoke 24 hours prior to surgery.
Day of surgery
- Please arrive at least 90 minutes before your appointed time so you can meet with your anesthesiologist and prepare for surgery.
- You will receive detailed instructions for after surgery.
- You are not allowed to leave alone, by bus or by taxi.