James D. Kelly II, M.D.
Dr. James D. Kelly, II is an internationally recognized shoulder and elbow surgeon. He is an active member of the prestigious American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons. With numerous publications and presentations in the field, he also is the co-director of the San Francisco Upper Extremity Fellowship Training Program.
While he performs arthroscopic and minimally invasive treatment for sports injuries, his research interest is in shoulder replacement, and he is a designer and developer of products to help his patients. He has a special interest in options for younger patients with osteoarthritis.
Dr. Kelly trained in Orthopaedic Surgery after serving in the US Navy and Marine Corps as a flight surgeon for F/A-18 squadrons. A pilot himself, he enjoys flying and conducts outreach clinics in Eureka and Truckee. He is also a member of the Doctors’ Ski Patrol at Sugarbowl Resort where he enjoys skiing the resort and backcountry and especially spending time with his family winter and summer in the mountains.
His love for the outdoors translates into his ambition to see his patients return to their activities.
- MD, Vanderbilt University
- Internship, Oakland Naval Hospital, California
- Residency, University of Kansas, MO
- Fellowship, shoulder and elbow surgery, San Francisco Shoulder, Elbow and Hand Clinic
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
- Shoulder instability repair
- Total shoulder replacement
- Reverse shoulder replacement
- Total elbow replacement
- Elbow contracture
- Fractures and dislocations of the shoulder, elbow and AC joint